Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Bukoyawa Short Video


 Here is a short video by local historian Seishiro Mizuno on his opinion regarding the Bukoyawa. Unfortunately, he thinks it is a fraudulent document. I highly recommend the Bukoyawa to its rich information relating to the Battle of Okehazama and Sumomata. There is a well-written thesis by David D. Neilson, Society at War: Eyewitness Accounts of Sixteenth Century Japan (University of Oregon) explains the Bukoyawa and the Men of the Fields. To be honest and fair, I do not think Seishiro Mizuno knows or most Japanese historians know about Neilson's work. Also I do not know if his thesis has been translated into Japanese. I have discussed the Bukoyawa with Seishiro Mizuno and explained my opinion. It is not some Showa Era historical novel. 

Neilson (pp.4-5) "Much of what has been produced has been resoundingly negative in its evaluation of the Bukoyawa as a legitimate historical source. Let it suffice at this point to say that although it is not a perfect source, there is still a great deal that can be learned from the Bukoyawa...."

Is the The Chronicle of Lord Nobunaga or the Mikawa Monogatari perfect? No. No primary source is perfect. In fact, you will find many irregularities with them.

I agree with Neilson on this statement regarding to the Bukoyawa Neilson (p. 33)

"I have come to the conclusion that much of the reason behind the apparent blacklisting of the Bukoyawa has to do with the way that the documents were released." Historians were caught by surprise were the Bukoyawa appeared in bookstores.

Neilson (pp. 33-34) "Historians can be very protective of their sources and sometimes think of documents as things that, because of their special skills, belongs to them. In this case though, the normal process was sidestepped and the documents were not given to historians for official vetting."

Historians are upset that they did not get their greasy fingers first, that is why the Bukoyawa is blacklisted. Again to be fair, Mizuno and others do not know Neilson's published works. It is not their fault. The blame can go to the national historians and the like since they have a personal vendetta regarding to the Bukoyawa.


Nobunaga no tame!

No comments: