Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Old Okehazama Matsuri Video and Book Review



 On the bottom is a two year Battle of Okehazama Festival Video from Touken. The festival took place at the Toyoake City Battlefield. Near the end of the video, a mock battle takes place. If I had to choose between the Arimatsu or Toyoake City Okehazama festival, Toyoake wins out simply because of the mock battle. I have participated in both. There is nothing wrong with the Arimatsu Okehazama festival. It just does not have the mock battles.

Years ago I wrote a short post on Fumio Watanabe's Okehazama book. It is decent, but it does have some flaws.

Fumio Watanabe Okehazama Kassen no Shinjutsu

Publisher: Ikohousha Year: 2012 Pages: 255

Watanabe's big push: Nobunaga's victory at the Battle of Okehazama was not a chaotic, impromptu dash, but a well calculated strategy combining frontal and flanking maneuvers from Fort Nakajima. Yoshimoto's weakness he stated was not military educated properly compared to Nobunaga and letting his retainers do the job. There is some truth to that. See pages 247-250.

One of the negatives, unfortunately, Fumio Watanabe never visited the battlefield and reaches his conclusions by the use of books and maps. I am assuming after publishing his book, he has visited both battlefields. That being said, his two maps at the end of the book are useful. 

I do think Fumio Watanabe's Okehazama book is a must read for the Battle of Okehazama scholar. It will open your mind a bit. Read it for yourself and then decide. 


Tenka no tame!

No comments: