Sunday, December 22, 2013

Honnoji Restaurant

On my month and a half trip back to Japan, I had the opportunity to eat lunch at Shincho-Saryou in Kyoto.  This is the Honnoji restaurant that opened earlier this year and my experience there was simply awesome.  My lunch was simple, rice porridge with Japanese pickles, white miso soup, warabi mochi for dessert, and some hot tea.  It was delicious and I went back there for a second time before heading home. For the Oda Nobunaga freaks, this is simply heaven.  You feel like you have stepped back into the time of the Uesama.

You are not far from the original Honnoji where the Uesama made his last stand.  Not only that, but you are only about two blocks from the Nanbanji landmark as well. If you inform one of the staff members before leaving, they can give you directions to the Nanbanji landmark.

The atmosphere at Shincho-Saryou is relaxing.  There is a video display showing how the art work was being done and the creation of the gallery.  The price is 500 Yen to enter the art gallery, but well worth it in my opinion.  The chairs have the Oda crest and the staff is very helpful, kind, and will make sure your experience there is a good one.  I will certainly make a return trip there in the future.

Note:  They are closed on Tuesdays.

The link to the restaurant:http://www.shinchou-saryou.jp

Nobunaga no tame!

1 comment:

D_A Renoir said...

Ah yes, it really was a nice place.

You say it's close to the original Honoji? Or is the restaurant actually ON the old HOnnoji grounds?

I hope to go back there someday. Hopefully when I have better Japanese because last time it was difficult to order due to my lack of Japanese skills (and the staff's lack of English skills).