Monday, September 23, 2019

Update Rekishi Gunzo Okehazama Article



I have an update on the new Rekishi Gunzo Okehazama article.  To tell you the truth, I am somewhat surprised since it is a totally new theory.  According to the Mikawa Monotagari, Imagawa Yoshimoto's army left Chiryu for Odaka, not Kutsukake Castle.  I do own a copy of the Mikawa Monogatari, and have read up on that Yoshimoto left Chiryu for Odaka.  I can understand that and have no problem with it.  The truth is that Yoshimoto left Chiryu for Kutsukake.

Now here comes the most bizarre part of the article.  According to the article, Yoshimoto's main army arrived at Odaka Castle.  After stopping at Odaka, the main army left southeast, passing Takaneyama to Okehazama.  This shocked me.  Why head southeast instead continuing north.  Odaka was the launching pad to Kiyosu.  Even from my own military experience, you do not retreat or quit the campaign unless something drastic happens.  At least Yoshimoto should have gone north to Narumi.  This is a completely different theory for sure.  If it was true, that Yoshimoto stopped at Odaka and later headed southeast, it was a good omen for Nobunaga since the enemy was caught in the open.

I am not completely sold on this theory.  It goes against military logic.  That being said, I will continue to study this theory since it is different.

Tenka no tame!

No comments: