Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Nohime's Ihatsuzuka Update


 While in Japan earlier this year, I was able to visit Nohime's Ihatsuzuka located in Fudo-cho, Gifu. The locals call it Lady Kicho's/Nohime's hair grave than her actual grave.  One must remember she passed away in 1612 and her grave can be found at Sokenin a subtemple of Daitokiji in Kyoto. 

Now comes some interesting new information.  Late last month, I received Rumi Komonz's 2nd edition revised and expanded Kicho & Nobunaga and it is a must have. Here is a clue that might give us an answer on Nohime's Ihatsuzuka.  Kicho & Nobunaga (p. 236) " `Bury it by the tree, 'I say, tossing my short hair in the wind.  'Lady Nobunaga has now passed. I shall live as an independent woman,' I say literally feeling much lighter weight on my shoulders."

Again, this might give us historians some clues and why Nohime's Ihatsuzuka was built in the first place.  As for Rumi Komonz's 2nd edition of Kicho & Nobunaga, it is a must read and it is much better than the first edition.


Tenka no tame!

No comments: