Monday, September 22, 2008

100th post

Today is the 100th post. A little sake and matcha to celebrate.
More on Varley:

"A prerequisite to the study of this revolution/evolution is abandonment of the incorrect standard version of the Battle of Nagashino, which has long been given such prominence in both amateur and professional analyses of warfare in Japan's early modern age." (Varley, 120)

I do agree with Varley to a point. However, I do not think it is a good idea to abandon the standard in order to except the new theory. Nagashino and 1,000 rifles may be the flavor of today, but will it the flavor of tomorrow? I doubt it. The old theory of 3,000 has stood up for almost 400 years or more. Something has gone right.

I would use both theories and after a rigid analysis decide for yourself. Varley's work is new and bold and I like that. However, I need more information and convincing to get rid of the old and into the new.


Nobunaga no Tame!

No comments: