Sunday, October 19, 2008

Nobunaga/Hashimoto Ippa/Kunitomo


I have been reading Olof G. Lidin's Tanegashima: The Arrival of Europe in Japan, and it is a great book so far. I had a discussion with Samurai Archives Kitsuno earlier about Nobunaga's purchase of the 500 rifles in 1549. He might have received the go ahead and the cash from his father Nobuhide, but who really helped Nobunaga in the securing the deal?

It was Hashimoto Ippa who made the deal possible. Lidin explains,
"On the 18th day of the 7th month of Tenbun 18 (10 August 1549), they received the order from Lord Nobunaga through Hashimoto Ippa, and on the 21st day of the 10th month of Tenbun 19 ( 30 October 1550) the teppo were finished." (Lidin, p.135)

What I have read so far is that Hashimoto Ippa was the man who was responsible in making the deal go through. I am not concerned about the Kunitomo Teppoki at the moment. It might have been written years after Nobunaga's death. I am more concerned who helped Nobunaga purchased the 500 rifles. I will discuss this more later.


Here are some websites to look at.

http://www.kunitomo-teppo.jp/





Nobunaga no tame!

No comments: