Monday, May 12, 2014

Uesama's Birthday



According to the old lunar calendar, today is the Uesama's birthday.  I have a passage from Walter Dening's The Life of Toyotomi Hideyoshi that stands out.  Nobunaga's character, that is.  No, he is not giving in to the Imagawa.  In fact, he has a message for Imagawa Jibu Daifu Yoshimoto and his army.

Dening (pp. 90-91)

"I have, after twelve years of fighting, succeeded in taking the whole of the province of Owari.  Yoshimoto has opposed me continually all this time, but as yet I have never had any reason to fear him.  And now am I quietly to submit to his rule without striking a blow?  Would this be maintaining the reputation of my family for brave deeds?  Would this be soldier-like conduct?  No, rather than do this, I will shave my head and become a priest.  To make plans for submission with nothing but report to guide us--whoever heard of such cowardice?  Should Yoshimoto come, we will give him a warm reception on the borders--we will fight to the death rather than allow him to pass through our province."

This is Nobunaga at his best.  You know he has something in his bag of tricks.  The self-made man from Owari is not going submit without a fight.

Nobunaga no tame!  Tenka no tame!  Owari ni hikari wo!

1 comment:

Daeva said...

Happy birthday, Nobunaga!!

--But personally I celebrate according to the Gregorian Calendar XD